We decided to start studying the Word in a house church setting. We both felt the need to strip away everything that we knew to be the American Church model of worship in order to seek God in a different way from which we were accustomed to worship and the way the majority of Christians worship. What Jeritt and I were finding is that for us, the American Church was keeping us too busy to really study and hear from God. The activities, programs, Bible studies, worship services, and baptism services were all great ways for believers to come together in an assembly but we kept missing out on opportunities to fellowship with our family and quite frankly we found that we did not really hear from God in those services. Perhaps for us, the lights, sounds, commotion and activity were quenching the Spirit.
We talk and study about the New Testament Church and wonder how different the church of today is in comparison to how the Disciples did church. In reading the New Testament, one can see over and over again, that the church was not necessarily a meeting of believers in a special building. It was the gathering of two or more believers in a home sharing the message of Christ.
Now, we are finding that the simplicity of the Gospel message and the house church is what Jeritt and I need in order to grow more like Christ. Within the past year, we have improved our relationships with our family and have seen great fruit in our current jobs. This year of study in the home has enabled us to have more time together as husband and wife as well.
However, we do face persecution for our decision. Because Jeritt and I are now, not a part of the normal Christian experience (ie. Church), many have labeled us. Some may think we have slipped away from our calling in ministry and others may think we have left the faith all together. However, we have found a new level of peace in our hearts. We have the freedom to worship any time of day, to study whatever the Holy Spirit instructs us to study and to fellowship with family and friends as needed. Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) states, 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
For now, our worship remains in a home church setting. We either worship with a group of believers in Hudson Oaks or here at home. Most recently, we have opted to worship at home on Ivy Hill in order to really allow our souls to rest. I am reminded of Deuteronomy 24:5 (NIV) in which it states, " 5 If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married." Although this was a Jewish Custom and Law, I find it to be extremely applicable to our day. Since, we did not have a chance to do this when we were first married, I find this to be part of God's master plan right now for Jeritt and I.
In closing, what is God teaching Jeritt and I? I believe He is teaching us that in the future, we may once again find a church home but for now our home is our church.
No comments:
Post a Comment