For over a year now, Jeritt and I have committed to reading a Proverb a day in the mornings before we start our work days. It's been quite a journey reading the same 31 chapters over and over again. Although we are reading the same material often, we find that there is so much to learn from these chapters.
Today, March 8th, I decided to listen to the reading of Proverbs 8 via Biblegateway.com. The title of the chapter is "Wisdom's Call". As I was listening to the chapter, I realized that studying the Proverbs each day, as we have for over a year, has been our "Wisdom's Call". God has been pouring so much information into our hearts through these works, we have grown so much, just from reading a Proverb every day.
I have to challenge you, my brothers and sisters in Christ, to take up this call from Wisdom. Start reading a Proverb everyday and soak up all the truth, knowledge, and wisdom that lies there waiting for you to discover it.
Here is a sample of what you will find in Proverbs Chapter 8, verses 6 through 11 in the NIV version. The Bible states, " Listen, for I have worthy things to say; I open my lips to speak what is right. 7 My mouth speaks what is true, for my lips detest wickedness. 8 All the words of my mouth are just; none of them is crooked or perverse. 9 To the discerning all of them are right; they are faultless to those who have knowledge. 10 Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, 11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her."
As Jeritt and I continue to answer our "Wisdom's Call" through reading a Proverb every day, I hope you will be inspired to answer the same call. Pick up your Bible today and read Chapter 8 in Proverbs, then commit to reading one every day. It does not take that long to read the chapter in the morning. Perhaps just 15 minutes is all you need to set aside. So, tomorrow read Chapter 9. Put down the books written by successful authors, who tell you what the Bible says. Instead, read what it says for yourself. You will see that "nothing you desire can compare to" the wisdom you gain from doing so.
To end my post, I want to share what God is teaching Jeritt and I this week. The first lesson is obvious- Wisdom has called Jeritt and I to read the Proverbs every day. The second lesson we have learned this past week is to be wise with our finances. We have really been working hard to reduce debt, to cut back on frivolous spending, and to share our blessings with others. We have also begun to work hard at figuring out what is a need, what is a want, and what does God want us to do with our finances. As I type that, I am reminded of what Proverbs 8:11 states, "for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her." I pray that you remember that today.
No comments:
Post a Comment