Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Breast Cancer Survivor

Have you ever had the opportunity to go through any of the blogs out there? I scanned through several over the past few months and one major word jumped out to me over and over again. CANCER. So many people have been touched by this terrible disease. Several blogs talked about loved ones triumphing over cancer, several talked about loved ones going through their battle with cancer right now, and sadly many shared that their loved ones had recently lost their battle.

After reading multiple blogs that focused on loved one’s cancer, I thought I would honor my mother by sharing her story. See, my mom is a breast cancer survivor.

In January 2008, I was a student at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (SWBTS) here in Texas. Jeritt and I had just gotten engaged in December and had begun planning the wedding. One day, I remember clearly hearing instructions from the Lord concerning my wedding day. He said to me, “Merritt, I need you to pray for your mother’s health, if you want her to be at your wedding.” I thought this is an odd request from the Lord. Not that I mind praying for my mother’s health, but He specifically referred to our wedding. I wondered why? So being the obedient Christian that I try so desperately to be, I obeyed the command. Pray for my mother’s health- everyday- check… Will do God.

Then, a few days or maybe a week or so later the phone call came from my mom. Merritt, I just want you to know that the doctor thinks he may have found a questionable image (i.e. Lump) in my breast from my routine mammogram. I will go back to have a biopsy done on that area. I remained brave and told mom just to let me know the final report as quickly as possible, and then I called Jeritt to freak out about mom’s health. I shared with him what God had asked of me. I told Jeritt the recent phone conversation with my mother and the terrible news. Jeritt, who always seems to know how to handle me, so lovingly reminded me of God’s faithfulness. He told me not to worry until we knew the results of the biopsy.

The news came back, and yes, it was cancer. I remember standing in chapel at SWBTS, during worship just pouring my heart out to God, asking why my mom and why now? He did not answer my why questions, but He did remind me to continue to pray for her health as He had already instructed me to do. I remember selfishly thinking, God- I can’t get married without my mother being there. I just can’t… He once again said, you need to pray. I shared with Jeritt the news, and we both began to pray for her.

Thankfully, because mom did go to her mammogram appointment the spot on her breast was found early. It was early enough that the doctor was very sure of her quick recovery from it. They removed the spot and because it was so small she only had to go through radiation. No chemotherapy, what great news.  

I remember thanking God over and over again for His ability to prepare the hearts of His children for the future things to come. He knew how heart broken I would be if anything were to happen to my mom that year. He knew that I prayed for her health, but not every day- until He told me to. He knew about the cancer before we did, and He faithfully took care of my mother.

Yes, my mother is a survivor, in more ways than just a cancer survivor but nevertheless- she won this battle. And although we have so many wonderful advances in medicine that we can detect things like cancer early on… I can not and will not ever take for granted the purpose of God in this. I believe He personally fought this battle for my mother. I can not answer why God chose to fight it for her, and not for the hundreds, thousands, or millions that have lost their lives to cancer. I can only thankfully say that He saw mercy on us and saved my mom. My mom was at every event leading up to our wedding- wedding dress shopping, the showers, the rehearsal dinner, and of course the wedding day. She is still here today three years later and cancer free. Thank you God!

Jeritt and I have a family member who is fighting cancer right now and we are praying for her. James 5:15-16 states, “And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” What is the lesson I have learned from this experience? To remember to pray for your loved one’s health, to know that God is in control, and to be thankful for the precious time you have with your loved ones. I hope you will do the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment