Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A jewel in his crown

In praying about what to post today, I was reminded of  this particular story therefore I thought I would share it with you. I pray that the story I am sharing will encourage you and speak to your heart.

When I was a single lady, a wise friend of mine told me that I needed to get into the habit of praying for my future husband everyday because once I married, I would most certainly need to pray for my husband each day. Taking her advisement to heart, I created a special prayer for my future husband and for myself as a future wife. I went through the Bible and pulled out all the Scriptures that discussed husbands and wives, then carefully developed a prayer that I said every day. As I prayed those Scriptures each day, I began to memorize them, until they became a piece of my heart.

I shared previously how Jeritt and I met however, in that post I never shared how I knew Jeritt was to be my husband. I always knew that God would one day tell me who my future husband was yet, boyfriend after boyfriend the answer had always been "No, not this one." Honestly, I was beginning to think that perhaps God wanted me to remain single. However, I truly had a strong desire to be a wife, therefore I had to trust what Psalm 37:4 states, "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."

Jeritt and I began dating in June 2007. In that first month of dating, I had really begun to see even more similarities between the two of us, and how much we liked each other. I found myself realizing that I never really fully liked everything about a particular boy before. Sure, I liked this quality or that quality, however I never found the guy that I truly liked spending all my free time with until I started dating Jeritt.

One evening, I was preparing for bed and went to my prayer journal to pray my special prayer for my future husband and myself. In that prayer, I had written this verse, "an excellent wife is the crown of her husband" found in Proverbs 12:4. Although I found this verse to be one of encouragement for me, I decided to write down that I would be a jewel in my husband's crown. Several times in Scripture a godly wife and wisdom are equated with a rare ruby, so although I wanted to be an excellent wife, I also desired to be a precious ruby or jewel to him.

In my prayer time this particular evening, I stated to God as I have stated many times before, that I wanted to be a "jewel in my husband's crown". Suddenly, I heard the Holy Spirit say to me, "you know his last name is King don't you?" Now, many people have told me that they are uncertain of when they hear God's voice, however, I have always fully understood when it is God speaking to me. Most of the time, it is because He is telling me something I may not want to hear, yet I know I need to hear it. As I realized the seriousness of this statement to me from God, I said back to Him, "Lord, I am not praying about Jeritt, I am praying for my future husband." In my mind at this point of my conversation with God, I am picturing Him smiling down at me because of my disbelief in what I just heard. Yet, God is once again ever so patient with my shortcomings. The Holy Spirit once again said to me, "yes, and his last name is King."

After that moment, I knew God was telling me that Jeritt would be my husband. That He was allowing me to witness the fulfillment of my prayer request. My simple request was that I would be a jewel in my husband's crown and God was giving me a man whose last name was King. Having the last name King, my husband has been fascinated with crowns all his life. I sometimes laugh out loud at how slow I can be in understanding what God is saying to me, because I knew Jeritt loved crowns. Yet, it was like God almost had to knock me off my bed to make me understand that He was finally allowing me to have my heart's desire- to be a wife.

What is the lesson here today? Well, I am certain that each person reading this post may take something unique to heart from it. However, I want to remind you that, God speaks to His children and He desires to fulfill your deepest heart desires. Please be patient and wait for His perfect timing. I pray that if you are married, you will make sure to lift up your spouse in prayer everyday and thank God for that person as well. Remember the Scriptures concerning husbands and wives and seek to follow them. Lastly, please be ready to hear what God is saying to you and obey Him because through our obedience comes a multitude of blessings from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment